Friday, June 5, 2015

Going Purple for Alzheimer's

By: Brooke M. Westlake-Kelley
Welcome to JUNE 2015. 
The month of June is dedicated to wearing purple for Alzheimer's awareness. Last year I took part in the longest day ever June 21, 2014 for Alzheimer's and this year I will be at it again. 
However with June being the month of purple for Alzheimer I thought I would share a little bit.  I have always loved the color purple. It was never on the top of my color chart favorites, but I liked it. Looking back to 2012, I found it ironic that the woman's suit I bought for my grandma Bev to be burred in was a dark purple. The casket I picked out for her was a lighter purple along with light colored purple roses that laid on top of her casket.  I had never put two and two together that purple was also the color dedicated to Alzheimer's and Alzheimer's awareness. It put a small smile on my face to know the meaning of the color had literally come full circle into my life and my grandma Bev when she passed away. Now I buy things in the color purple and think of her and the disease that we are trying so hard to find a cure for. My water bottle: purple, desk fan: purple, nail polish: purple. I do this all now consciously. Sometimes buying an item in the color of purple makes me sad, because it reminds me that my grandma is not here with me, other times buying an item in purple reminds me of all the other people that are living with or care taking for loved ones that have Alzheimer's.  Peace by peace I ask it to mend my heart and those like myself that have experience the loss of a Alzheimer's patient, care took for an Alzheimer's patient or have Alzheimer's themselves. I encourage you all to wear your purple this month. #ENDALZ #GOPURPLE #STILLBEVERLYJEAN #REMEMBERMYPHOTO



2 comments:

  1. Living with Alzheimer's is indeed tough, not just for the person with the disease, but with the people around him as well. You will need a lot of patience and understanding when you take care of them. I'm sorry that you lost your Grandma because of it. I'm glad that you always remember her, and that you're promoting this advocacy for others who are suffering from the same illness.

    Joel Pratt @ Comfort Keepers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joel,
      I am not sure how I am just seeing this comment of yours... Thank you for this nice comment. Some days I am sad when I think of Grandma and other days I smile. I hate reflecting that the last 10 years of her life were so awful...But she is now helping me advocate for what she could not speak of while she was here with me on earth. Hugs to you.

      Delete