Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Keep Memory Alive-Power of Love Gala. (KMA) Las Vegas, Nevada April 26, 2014

My lovely Volunteer Badge
Walking the Red Carpet.
Mrs. Nevada International 2014
Over the weekend I was able to volunteer for the 18th annual Keep Memory Alive-Power of Love Gala. (KMA) at the MGM in Las Vegas. It was one of the most powerful moments in my life.  This event is a private fundraiser that raises money for the Larry Rou Brain Center for health in Las Vegas. The gala raises anywhere from $2 million to $6 million each year. (Over the 17 years they have raised over $100 million dollars).  


This money goes back to the clinic help with research and treatment for patients.

The tables await all 1,350 guest whom
were attending this grand gala

Guest were greeted with the large propped word
LOVE
when they arrived
Christopher Meloni-Actor from SVU
The meaning of being at this event was blended for me with many emotions.  I was happy to attend and be a part of a great event.  I also felt sad that I was at this event to raise money for a cure and my grandma had already passed. It made me think of her and her Alzheimer’s and how terrible it was to watch her die over a 7 year period.  Being at the event also meant most of us in the room, celebrities, the wealthy, the volunteer and the worker had all been touched by someone with Alzheimer’s.  We all experienced watching someone pass from this disease or care took for them.
Fantine the singer and I at the VIP party

Gloria Estefan Singing..
Queen Latifah Singing
My Partner and Crime for the
night, and new friend: Donna
 It re-enforced my feeling of advocacy, fundraising and sharing my story about my grandma along with braking the stigma around Alzheimer’s.  It helped me see that others like myself had gone through a painful loss of a loved one. It made me feel really connected to them.  While the moment was grand, helping, seeing the event in person, shaking celebrities hands, I still wished my grandma could have seen this.  I remember thinking. She is here with me, and that thought calmed me..

Taking photos with fellow volunteers.

More Photos with fellow volunteers.
I can truly say it was a blessing and one of the most memorable moments of my life time. I sure hope that we do find a cure soon, because this memory of the Power of Love isn't one I want to forget ever.



No comments:

Post a Comment