Tuesday, November 11, 2014

PURPLE




Finishing my speech on the "Purple" Queen Mary 11-8-2014
Platform Award for Alzheimer's
Woman of Achievement
Queen Mary 11-9-2014
I was honored this past year to acquired the title of Ms. Northern Nevada 2014 for the Woman of Achievement pageant program. I choose this pageant because the value they place on Platforms. Marlena Martin, President and owner of this pageant understand that not all pageants are created equal and wanted to be sure to create a program that lets woman shine when it comes to community service and there platforms. http://womanofachievement.com/One of the divisions is speech or talent. The pageants I competed in during my 20s I was able to share the joys of singing; however now that I am older I appreciate my voice being heard on a different level and that is through the art of speech. Speech didn't come easy for me. The year my parents divorced and we went from having a home to nothing, I struggled with saying my "s" correctly. I remember my 2nd grade teacher bringing me over to introduce me to another teacher.  She said "Brooke, show Mrs. Jones your S's". and I did.. Not knowing I was talking like Daffy Duck... Yes this is true.. And I was so proud to show me saying my S's with my tongue right between my teeth...

Receiving a check for $500 for 1st place for speech.
Thank you Vegan Therapy
I was placed into a special speech class from 2nd grade to 3rd grade. My English and writing has always been something that I have had to work very hard at. I like to think of it as a muscle. It was beyond weak and with the help of finding myself and telling myself I could achieve and overcome this obstacle, I have been able to acquire the gift of the gab. Or some people do call me the babbling Brook.... Over this past weekend was pageant nationals for Ms. Woman of Achievement, United States of America program. I choose for the first time in my life to do a speech for talent instead of signing. I haven't done a platform speech in years. The week before I left for the pageant I almost changed my speech to a talent of singing.

I am thrilled I didn't do this... I put a lot of thought into how I would capture the moments, the words the feelings about what I am going to do and what I am currently doing with my Alzheimer's work, and as I lay in bed one night it came to me... "PURPLE". This is the title of my speech and you will see why. Enjoy. I am happy to say I won overall platform and I won overall speech, bringing home $500.00 cash  from Vegan Therapy for my platform project "Remember My Photo".  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vegan-Therapy/455406477876775
All I can say is look out world. I am changing it one day at a time and I am a voice that is being heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3KiMAe7EQ&feature=youtu.be
Showing off my "Platform" Board for Alzheimer's
Remember My Photo


No comments:

Post a Comment