Friday, November 20, 2015

Meeting Samuel L. Jackson, No Snakes on This Plane


Samuel L. Jackson
At Honolulu Airport
11-12-2015
Copyright: BMW Photography

Samuel L. Jackson 
At Honolulu Airport 
11-12-2015
Copyright: BMW Photography
Thursday November 12, I was standing in a very long crazy security line at the Honolulu airport, wondering if I was going to make my flight that was headed for Los Angeles. All the sudden I hear a bunch of commotion. I look up and standing in the Pre TSA line is Samuel L. Jackson (the actor). He is being funny and is quiet loud because everyone is taking photos of him on their electronic devices. He says, “Well Samuel L. Jackson has to fly too!” and mentions something about his original plane not working. I snapped a picture of him while he stood in line. As I am standing there I thought to myself, he just might happen to be on the Los Angeles flight too….(and how cool would that be, Samuel L. Jackson on the same flight as me? Hopefully without snakes on a plane), and not to mention his capital one card needs to step up and get him a better seat.

Samuel L. Jackson 
At Honolulu Airport 
11-12-2015
Copyright: BMW Photography
I arrived at my airport gate ten minutes later and there he was sitting with his assistant being very cool.  People in the airport gate are noticing him, but no one is saying much.  Ten minutes later a little girl comes over to Samuel and asks him if he is one of the avenger’s. He replies “Maybe.”  She than asks to take a photo with him. He says “What if I say no?”. She doesn’t reply because at her age I am sure she is totally star struck. She turns and faces her mom, while Samuel stays sitting in his seat, the mother takes a couple photos via iPhone.  Now this is getting more airport attention.  When the little girl is done a little boy comes over and asks to take a photo too. Samuel says “I guess the photo booth is now open!”.  Everyone laughs. Part of me felt bad for Samuel, as he is just another human that is traveling and trying to get to Los Angeles like the rest of us; however all eyes are on him.  Once the little boy leaves, a lady talking on her cell phone comes over to Samuel and wants him to talk to her husband. This goes on for a good amount of time, and everyone gets a kick out of it.

Samuel L. Jackson 
At Honolulu Airport 
11-12-2015
Copyright:BMW Photography


























As me and all the passengers continue to wait, a flight crew member makes an announcement on the loud speaker. Our 12pm departing flight is now delayed by 4 hours with a few selected options to choose from.  A new gate for a later flight to Los Angeles is announced.  Most people leave and head over to the new gate.  Since I had been sitting on the floor at the packed airport gate, I finally get up to sit down, but it just happens to be right across from Mr. Jackson. We all continue to listen to the overhead announcements.  Once they are off the loud speaker I look over at Samuel and I ask him “Are you going to stay on this flight or try to catch another one?” He’s very kind and replies “I don’t know, we are looking to see if I can get on another plane, I have to get to Los Angeles today, because I have to be somewhere at 9am tomorrow.”


My Platform Table #ENDALZ
Copyright: BMW Photography



Winning Platform
Woman of Achievement 2015
Copyright: BMW Photography
#ENDALZ #BEVERLYJEAN #REMEMBERMYPHOTO
I say to him “Bummer you were supposed to bring me good luck for my competition this weekend in Los Angeles”. He says “What competition?” Being the pageant queen I am I whip out my crown box and sash. “Well I am in a national pageant competition his weekend. It’s called Woman of Achievement and it’s a program where I spend a lot of time working on my platform which is Alzheimer’s. I am an advocate for my state and a volunteer.” He says to me, “My mother died from Alzheimer’s”.  (At this point I am almost speechless! Because here I am talking to Samuel L. Jackson and he is telling me his mother died from Alzheimer’s, a cause that is so dear to my heart after losing my grandma to her 10 year battle to Alzheimer's.) I tell him I am so sorry for his loss.  I recall and say “That is right you do a lot of advocacy work or donate your time, and you’re at a couple of the major fundraisers for Alzheimer’s”. He says “Yes”. I asked him if we can get a photo together with me wearing my crown and sash. He says “Sure get dressed darling, I will come stand next to you.”. His assistant was kind enough to take several photos on my iPhone, and asks me to check them. I tell him “I am pretty sure they are all great.”. Samuel says to me “Good luck darling!” and I thank him and tell him good luck getting a new flight and that it was great to meeting with him.

Winning Platform
Woman of Achievement 2015
Copyright: BMW Photography
Talking about Alzheimer's
Woman of Achievement 2015
Copyright:BMW Photography
This moment was so powerful for me because not only did I meet Samuel L. Jackson, but he had the connection about this horrific disease, Alzheimer's. This just reminds me how many people are affected by Alzheimer’s and how we need to continue to talk about it. I truly left Hawaii feeling empowered to keep speaking up, to keep talking to others about the diseases and to keep asking for money to fight the cause so that one day we can to find a cure.

I hope this inspires all of you to keep talking to individuals, to keep asking for donations and to keep shedding light on this diseases by sharing your own story. You never know who you will meet, and how they may have also been impacted by Alzheimer’s.
Winning Platform
Woman of Achievement 2015
Copyright: BMW Photography









Interesting Fact:  "Samuel L. Jackson" In June 2013, Jackson launched a joint campaign with the charity Prizeo in an effort to raise money to fight Alzheimer's disease. As part of the campaign, he recited various fan-written monologues and a popular scene from the AMC series Breaking Bad." Reference Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_L._Jackson

Woman of Achievement Delegates 2015

P.S. I won 1st place Platform out of a group of 31 woman. This is the only all cash award for the pageant 
#ENDALZ #BEVERLYJEAN #REMEMBERMYPHOTO #WIPEOUTALZ

No comments:

Post a Comment