Monday, November 11, 2019

Teaching On Alzheimer's

This coming week on Wednesday 9-13-2019, I will be teaching a 2 hour class. The class is actually my last elective for my Masters degree. The course is on Death, Dying and Bereavement. People have asked me "why that class?"  I thought that it might be a good class for me since I have experienced several major losses. The book is great, the content is deep. It is a blended class with undergraduate students and 4 graduate students. As a graduate student we are expected to do more work, so part of our course work for the class is to teach the class. The book on Death, Dying and Bereavements last chapter is on Alzheimer's. I asked if I could teach on this subject matter, if the other three students didn't want the topic, and they were all find with it. I was happy. I was happy because I have done a lot of research, work, volunteering, being an activists, photography, and donation of funds for this topic near and dear to me.  I have put together a long presentation that is diverse with videos, class room activities, story sharing. I am sure it will go great, I am just blessed to get to teach on this topic. Wish me luck! I will post a follow-up.  Here are some tips I listed for students on how they can help if a family member or friend has Alzheimer's. 


vAdvocate/Advocacy 

vShare Your Story

vAssist a Family or Friend

vSpeak Up or Say Something

vGet Tested

vGo To the Doctor If You Feel You Might Have Alzheimer’s

vHelp Raise Money for Research

vHilarity for Charity 

vThe Alzheimer’s Association or

vAn Organization of Your Choice

No comments:

Post a Comment