Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Introduction to the Dodsons

The Dodsons &  I. HFC-2015
I met the Dodsons by chance. My husband and I were attending our 2nd Hilarity for Charity-James Franco’s Bar Mitzvah-2015.  http://bmwphotoproject.blogspot.com/2015/10/supporting-hilarity-for-charity-in.html  During part of the show Nikki, Ken’s wife came spoke on stage.  I remember sitting at my table crying. She was talking about her husband Ken who had been diagnosed at the age of 30 with early onset Alzheimer’s.  I couldn’t even fathom the idea of a diagnoses of Alzheimer's disease for a person that was around the same age as me. I had felt angry and sad about my grandma, but what if that was my husband? I am a mom, so I cry, a-lot.  And when I say cry a-lot, I mean I cry for things that break my heart.   I never had these cry spells before giving birth, so I am going to blame this on my son (in a good way- Love you Grant).  My husband looked over at me with the, “seriously, you have got to stop crying face....” And I gave him the eye contact back of the “yeah, I know, I am trying, this is hard.”  The rest of the show took my mind to another place so the crying stoped. Later on Scott and I attended the after party and Nikki and her husband happened to be there. I pointed out the couple and said to my husband “oh my gosh, that is the couple from on stage, I have to go give them a hug.”  I introduced myself and we chatted for a few brief minutes along with taking an adorable photo together. I then gave them both hugs.  My mind was just in shock at that point. So young, and they have kids and they are our age....  What the hell is happening? How the hell could this happen?  Sudden my struggle with my grandma seemed a bit less painful.  

ALZ Forum-2016

In the beginning of 2016 I decided to celebrate my 35th birthday by going to the annual Alzheimer’s forum in Washington D.C. I learned so much at forum. It was a week long life opportunity where I got to help educate political leaders that represent my State of Nevada. Our goal was to help get Senator Reid and Senator Heller to sponsor two bills geared towards Alzheimer's. http://act.alz.org/site/PageNavigator/Advocacy_PublicPolicy/HOPEforAlzheimersAct.html  

http://act.alz.org/site/DocServer/PCHETA_Background_and_Talking_Points_-_2016_Forum-revise.pdf?docID=50986

We had BIG success because Senator Reid sponsored HOPE after our team met with him. He listed to each of our own reasons for supporting Alzheimer's and then shared a person story with us about a dear friend of his who died from Alzheimer's.   http://bmwphotoproject.blogspot.com/2016/08/alzheimers-forum-2016.html 
ALZ Forum -2016
While I was at forum I ran into Nikki and Ken. It was brief and we all thought we would see each other on Capitol Hill as us “advocates” painted Washington D.C. purple.  We missed each other, but kept in contact via facebook. 
https://www.facebook.com/bmwestlake

As the upcoming 2016 tickets came on sale for Hilarity for Charity, Nikki reached out to me to see if I was going. (Heck yes! How could I miss a big ol fun party like that? Plus it raises money for a cause I am passionate about). 
One day on FB I saw a  post that Nikki had done regarding looking for photographers for her daughter Kennedy’s senior photos. I was bummed because we live many states apart from one another. www.photography-bmw.com I would love to photograph her daughter for senior photos, but how could that happen. Well, Nikki and I being the smart moms that we are got our thinking caps on and decided to book a photo session when we were all out in Los Angeles for Hilarity for Charity. 
Kennedy at the Santa Monica Pier. Photo By: BMW Photography

I had also asked if I could take some photos of her and Ken and photos of Ken, as that is one of the reasons for my blog. I offer free portraits of Alzheimer’s individuals and families. It's a chance to capture their story both in photography form and then in written form.

The Dodsons & I, Santa Monica Pier. Oct 2016
The opportunity here is to bring more exposure to this disease and showcase the beautiful person that fights for their life each day starting with their mind. The other goal of the project is to do photos over a period time, like a longitudinal study.  The disease does not just affect the mind, it starts there and then changes the person in physical form.  Ken and Nikki, thank you for gifting me the opportunity to do several blog pieces on your family! Also thank you for letting me photograph your baby girl! She is darling and has a very bright future ahead of her. So blessed I got to meet her an see you all in California. COME to Reno :) <-- the purple guest room awaits! 


I am working on the Dodsons piece now. I can’t say how many pieces I will do on the Dodsons, but it’s my hope that however many pieces we create together with photography and writing, that we are able to bring hope to someone, break the stigma for someone, or help someone who is struggling by sharing. I think the saying is “Sharing is Caring.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment