Thursday, October 6, 2016

Reno, Sparks Annual Walk to END Alzheimer's raises $190,694.31!

My Chinese  Fortune Cookie the day before Walk to END ALZ.
The day before my 3rd Walk to END Alzheimer's I went to lunch with my gals from work. I am a sucker for Chinese food. I could eat it every day, all day. (Now my readers know where to take me for a good meal.)  Our crew went to one of our favorite place in Reno. Jasmines.  They have some of the best Chinese food in town!  We had a delightful lunch. The bill came with our fortune cookies. As a group we loves to open our fortunes and read them to the group.  I looked at my fortune before reading it. My jaw literally dropped open.

"Focus on the color purple this week to bring you luck." My co-workers did not believe me. I had to take a photo and post it to Facebook. My family, friends and acquaintances know my passion about this cause.


Photo at the Flower Garden. END ALZ Walk 2016 
You can say what you will, but I fully believe this was yet another sign from my grandma that she is not far from me and she is not forgotten from my memory.  I envision her hanging out with her maker and smiling and laughing like she did. I can hear her say "Brooke's gonna do it, she gets it done." She said that to me a lot.




My Champions Club Metal-2016
Saturday September 24, 2016 started on a very beautiful note. I work up at 4am to get ready.  I was out the door by 5am.  Why 5am you ask? Well not only do I have a walk team, but I am a volunteer member for our annual Walk to END Alzheimer's.   Our volunteer crew begins set up around 5:30am so that when people begin start showing up around 8am the event can go off without a hitch.



I was excited to part-take in my "3" walk to END Alzheimer's for the Reno, Sparks area.   This year my teams goal was too raise $1,000.00. We raised $538.00 achieving 53% of the goal.  Donations do not stop there. Individuals can still donate to my team: Here is the link if you wish to do so.

http://act.alz.org/site/TR?px=12165563&fr_id=8858&pg=personal


Hitting the $500.00 mark for me was big this year because it means I was awarded a mental and became part of the "Champions Club". I am thrilled! After walk I hung my newly earned metal in my car on the review mirror so I can see it everyday.


This year for walk, my volunteer efforts were to assisted where needed, and to take photos of families, teams, etc. 

This Lovely Woman shared with everyone she is living with 
Alzheimer's.
She carries her "Blue" flower with her to 

signify that she is living with Alzheimer's.
I met this lovely lady whom I had the honor of taking her teams photos. She has Alzheimer's. She cried.  She said to me "I can't stop crying." My heart broke for her. I hugged her and gave her some tissues. I wanted to cry with her, but I also knew I needed to be strong for her.

My Husband and Son supporting the cause!

Volunteer Crew Working At Walk.
This was my 3rd walk, but my first time at walk where I was able to hold it together and not cry. I was able to be strong for those around me, like this beautiful soul that I got to meet. The journey she is on will get worse, and sadly we still do not have adequate medications to help with this disease. The rest of the event went off without a hitch.  Excited for next years walk! I am very proud of my Reno Nevada Community! Our total numbers in dollars raised is $190,694.31. Our goal is $228,000.00. Does not mean we missed our goal as we are still getting donations for our annual goal. Making it to 85% as of October 2016 isn't to shabby.
Hanging out with Casey H. President of Sigma Kappa at University of Nevada, Reno



University of Nevada Reno, SIGMA KAPPA


I would like to give a wonderful big phat shout out to the "SIGMA KAPPA" gals from UNR, & Casey H. whom is their president. Around 200 ladies showed up. They have adopted "Alzheimer's" as their cause to give back to in the community. They have raised close to $1,600.00 as a group. I am super proud of these young women. 









My son and I.

My adoptive mom, Jule enjoying the flower garden. 

Reno, Nevada Alzheimer's Members & Volunteers-2016

No comments:

Post a Comment